News from the Blues 6th May

6th May 2013

Macclesfield’s narrow win over Fylde was not enough to match Wharfedale’s 5-point victory over Cambridge on Saturday as the Greens overtook the Blues on the final game of the season.

After a difficult season Macclesfield have finished in 14th place, and will compete in the National League Two North next season alongside rivals Sedgley Park who finished in 15th.

On Saturday, the Blues benefited from returning Captain Tom Eaton, although the kicking responsibilities were delegated to others as the fly-half continues to struggle with a groin injury.

Winger Ashley Platt-Hughes stepped up to the mark and scored four penalties and a conversion as the wind caused havoc, making kicking difficult for both sides.

While the Blues dominated in the first half, Fylde came out stronger in the second half and two yellow cards made it difficult for the home side to find a fourth try to claim the bonus point.

It was the ninth game this season where Macclesfield have scored three tries, a statistic Head Coach Geoff Wappett wanted to improve on for next year.

Especially considering the Blues have won 13 out of 30 games, matching 8th, 9th and 10th place for number of wins.

Next year Macclesfield will come up against fellow North-West clubs Sedgley Park, Preston Grasshoppers, Caldy and newcomers Chester.

Other teams in the league include Darlington, Otley, Sheffield Tigers, Hull RUFC, Leicester Lions, Luctonians, Bromsgrove, Dudley Kingswinford, Birmingham & Solihull and Westoe.

Wharfedale made the long trip down to Cambridge this weekend and with a game in hand, the club were only required to match or do one point better than the Blues if they were to stay up.

The Greens won 28-12, scoring four tries in the process to claim all five points and finish 13th with 62 points, one point more than Macclesfield.

In the only other National League One match, Loughborough Students scored 16 tries in a decisive 106-12 victory away at Sedgley Park.