Sedgley Park 21 – 37 Blues

28th September 2013

A second half brace from Ryan Parkinson helped the Blues come from behind for the second week in a row at Sedgley Park on Saturday, where they ran out 21 – 37 winners.

As seems to be the case with Macclesfield this season, the game began at a ferocious pace and it didn’t take long for the first try to be scored. Centre Mike Barlow slid over after just three minutes to give the Blues a dream start after some powerful work from the forward pack.

The hosts hit back almost straight away when Andy Riley took advantage of a fortuitous bounce and crossed to put the hosts in the driving seat. But that didn’t last long and shortly after Frankie Barker controlled the ball well at the base and the pack were able to push over from a five-metre scrum.

Mid way through the first half the Blues extended their lead through winger Matt King, who showed a great turn of pace to out-sprint the Sedgley defence from 40 metres out. At this stage Macc were in the ascendency and were on course to wrap up the bonus point before half time.

The momentum then shifted the way of the Tigers and the visitors were forced to rack up the tackle count and defended their own line tirelessly for the rest of the half. They did eventually crack, twice, in quick succession with tries from James Lloyd and another from Riley. The hosts led 21 – 15 at oranges.

Macc wrapped up the bonus point shortly after half time when Ryan Parkinson scored his fourth in as many games. Two minutes had barely past before Matt O’Regan carved through the Sedgley defence with some neat footwork and a sharp turn of pace. His try put the Blues back in the lead with half hour remaining.

An Ashley Platt-Hughes penalty gave Macclesfield some breathing space, before Parkinson grabbed his second of the day. Replacement Forward Chris Jones latched on to a loose ball and embarked on a galloping 60 metre run. He was dragged down just short but the Blues kept their composure and Parkinson was on hand to score another five points.

That try killed the game off and the Blues ran out 21 – 37 winners. Something that will be pleasing for Macclesfield fans is that after the Blues had leaked 21 points in the first half, they didn’t concede a single point in the second 40.

Macclesfield now look forward to welcoming Bromsgrove to Priory Park next weekend, who won their first game of the season last weekend, beating Hull 22 -19.