Now the work begins
The consultation period for the club strategy plan has now closed so we thought it was appropriate to give you an overview of the feedback we have received and then outline the next steps.
Feedback to date
First and foremost, a big thank you to all the members who took so much trouble to read the document carefully and give their feedback either in writing or verbally to one of the team. It shows how much people really care about their rugby club and bodes well for the next period when we have to start to put some of this in place. The overwhelming majority of the feedback was positive and completely supportive of the “managed growth” approach with a small number of responses offering constructive criticism from people who felt we had the wrong emphasis and should be more ambitious. There were lots of good suggestions that either highlighted broad areas to address or very specific detail:
- The importance of the link between the junior and colts’ rugby and the senior sides was highlighted in a number of responses. Suggestions were made for how this could be strengthened that included building a more proactive relationship with all local schools.
- The provision of medical care for players needs to be improved from its rather ad hoc approach to ensure that absences due to injury are minimised and players recover properly.
- Several respondents proposed ideas for increasing revenue by better use of the facilities and these will be included in the planning. There were also some quite specific suggestions focussing on making the club more family friendly on Saturdays and Sundays (especially as the bad weather comes in) such as making the WiFi access free and providing an area showing children’s DVDs.
- Suggestions were also made for increasing use of the club during the week, re-starting social events and broadening the range of sports that use the club (with the rugby always retaining primacy). Plans are also going to be brought forward for a schedule of club tours that show great ambition so watch this space.
- Finally, the feedback suggested we should promote the club more effectively to raise its profile and make us of the tremendous facilities we have.
Overall, it was very re-assuring for the strategy team to receive such support for their proposed way forward. We will meet over the next six weeks to refine the plan in light of the feedback and then plan how the various elements can be delivered and in what timescale. A lot of people who responded to the strategy consultation offered their help in one capacity or another and we will rely on the support of many of the members if we are to convert the planning into tangible outcomes that benefit the club. So far so good but we have to keep the momentum going and start delivering!