Blues 23-30 Esher

4th January 2015

Macclesfield 23-30 Esher

Macclesfield played host to seventh placed Esher as they looked to kick start 2015 and get their season back on track against an Esher side who looked a very strong side when The Blues faced them in London.

A close game at Priory Park in wet conditions was ultimately decided by two second half tries in quick succession from the visitors.

Esher opened the scores on five minutes, a strong catch and drive line out providing the platform to barge over the line.

Esher opened the scoring with just five minutes on the clock. The visitors caught The Blues napping and took advantage when they won a penalty to kick it to the corner. The resulting line out was driven over and the score converted, 0-7.

Six minutes later, Esher added another try and Macclesfield looked up against it. A kick in behind was pounced upon by the winger, Joseph Brown and Esher were 0-12 up.

On 16 minutes, the Blues got themselves into the game with a try of their own. They built up pressure on the Esher line and it took a big ball carry from Prop Billy Robinson to crash over the line and get the score, which was converted by loan signing Tom Morton.

20 minutes later, The Blues went within two points of their visitors as Tom Morton kicked three points from the tee.

Esher responded on the stroke of half time with a penalty of their own, from the boot of fly half Ian Cross.

The Blues came out after half time and looked to get themselves back into the game, three points from the boot of Tom Morton two minutes into the half looked to set Macc up for a strong second half.

On 45 minutes, Cameron Zeiss crossed for Esher to establish a seven point gap between the two sides and put a setback on a Blues comeback.

Just five minutes later Esher scored again and put 14 points between the two sides with half an hour to play.

On 62 minutes Sam Moss crossed for Macc and set up an exciting finish and set the home side up for a losing bonus point at the very least.  

However, Ian Cross seemed to have snatched it away from the Blues with a on 75 minutes with a long distance penalty.

A last gasp opportunity was handed to Tom Morton, who slotted a penalty with the last kick off the game to secure a losing bonus point for Macclesfield.

But Macclesfield rescued a point from a game they could have had more from. Tom Morton kicked three points from a penalty to ensure that The Blues took something from the game.

Macclesfield return to Priory Park on the 17th of January as they host Darlington Mowden Park, and they travel to Hartpury College next weekend.