THE PHOENIX RISES AGAIN

There is little information to tell us why organised Rugby went out of existence in Macclesfield around the end of the nineteenth century but it was probably allied to the growing popularity of the Association form of football. But you can’t keep a good dog down and early in 1926, W. J. Siggins started the movement that would result in Macclesfield RUFC constituted in its current form. Siggins played Association Football for the Y.M.C.A. Where he was one of the few members with any previous experience of Rugby football. Nevertheless his enthusiasm and efforts generated sufficient interest in the “oval ball ” game that a meeting was held in the Majestic Cafe, Mill street, to consider the possibility of raising a side. This was Macclesfield’s equivalent to the infamous George Hotel meeting (at which the Northern Union split from the RFU and initiated Rugby League) if less significant in the development of rugby globally. The main contributors were ; W. J. Siggins, R. L. Rogers, W. E. Whiston and F. Hermann. F. Hermann undertook the duties of Honorary Secretary during the formation period, and it was due to these pioneers and others, including H. O. Kemp, H. Bennett, W. Geeson, J. H. Wilson, D.Moorhouse, E. P. Hanrahan, G. Rowson, F. Arnold, C. Arnold, A Butler and E. H Leah, that the Club came into being and was, founded in 1926, under the Presidency of Major A. M G Debenham MC, a prominent Lancashire forward who lived at Bollington.

Such was the organising ability of W. E. Whiston, that in a short time practices were  commenced on the Trinity Wesleyan FC ground, off Congleton Road. And practice was needed for many involved had only a rudimentary knowledge of the game. So it was not unusual for these enthusiastic members to practise Rugby on the Saturday morning and play Soccer in the afternoon. The location of the Trinity Wesleyan Ground was close to the current playing fields opposite the Rising Sun pub.