The final of the 2015 rugby world cup will take place on 31st October this year. A team from Macclesfield Rugby Club is going to row the distance from the club to the stadium finishing an hour before kick-off to raise money for the club and for East Cheshire Hospice.
Are you interested in taking part?
What is planned?
- It’s exactly 305 km (305,000 mtrs) from Priory Park to the gates of Twickenham.
- We will put together a team to row the distance on static rowing machines, beginning in the afternoon of 30th October and finishing just before kick-off of the final on Saturday 31st.
- We will seek sponsorship from local companies and from individuals to raise money for East Cheshire Hospice and for priority projects for the club (including improving disabled access, improving the drainage on the new pitch and improving the ladies’ toilets)
What do we need?
- A team of 10 rowers (ideally of mixed age and sex) prepared to commit to the training over the coming months, to complete the weekend event, and to raise sponsorship money.
- Support staff:
- A physiotherapist to support the rowers over the actual event weekend.
- A sponsorship manager to obtain sponsorship (either financial or in kind) from local organisations and to establish the necessary infrastructure for individuals to sponsor the team.
- A logistics manager to organise all aspects of the event on the day and to provide communications to sponsors and members over the course of the year.
If you are interested what should you do?
- Simply send your name, age and contact details and the role you would like to take, to Bev Roberts at the club at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If we get sufficient interest, we will contact you by the end of the month for a meeting to discuss the project in more detail.
It’s a fantastic way to get fit, an opportunity to be part of a team and to raise money for really good causes – apart from a stone or two, what have you got to lose?!
Already signed up are for rowing; Tim Peakman, MRUFC Secretary; Pete Harper – MRUFC Chairman; Charlie Harper – youngest Harper; Jonathan Marsh- Retail Sales Manager Halliwell Jones BMW Wilmslow.