We are delighted to announce that a critical element of the 2014 club strategy has been implemented with the appointment of Chris Jones as Director of Youth Rugby for Macclesfield RFU. Chris was selected from a rigorous interview process that included a number of high quality candidates and was overseen by the club chairman, the first team coach and Rob Davies (who had led the thinking on this part of the club strategy).
Chris’ remit is:
- Improve standards across all junior and youth teams.
- Identify and develop talent.
- Develop a pathway for players to transition from the youth sides into senior rugby at Macclesfield.
- Support the age group coaches in enhancing the standard and variety of coaching provided to the children.
- Harmonise and structure the skills expectations across the age groups to prepare the children for adult and, for some, representative rugby.
- Foster links with local schools to increase recruitment and retention of players.
Chris will take overall charge of the youth rugby (U12-U18) and will focus on the U15-U18. He will be helped in his role by Paul Jakubowski (known to many in the club as Jacko) who will focus on the U12-U15 working to an agreed plan. The executive committee have asked Rob Davies to take on an oversight role for youth rugby at Macclesfield acting as an adviser and mentor to Chris and to report to the Executive on a regular basis.
Chris and Paul are already starting to plan for next season and they will be contacting the various age group coaches over the forthcoming weeks to discuss their needs. I am sure you will join me in congratulating Chris and Paul on their appointments and wish them success in this critical role. Further announcements will be made shortly about the administrative arrangements for the mini and junior section.