Macclesfield is a thriving Rugby Club in the heart of the community with the 1st XV playing in the Regional One Northwest League (level 5) and the 2nd XV challenging for promotion to the NOWIRUL Cotton Traders Premier League this season. The 3rd XV plays in division 3 of the NOWIRUL leagues whilst the 4th XV is a social side playing regularly for the enjoyment of the game. The existing structure of four men’s teams, a women’s team in a development league, a thriving colts set up and a hugely popular and successful minis and juniors has been strengthened by the addition of the girl’s age grades and the walking and touch rugby groups. The coaching team has been reinforced with first class experience and is aligned with our One Cub strategy. We have a clear player pathway from U6 through to adult rugby including a recently established development group from U15 and in to the transition to adult rugby.
The Director of Rugby is a member of the Executive Committee and is responsible for the effective delivery of the player pathway of the club as a key part of delivering the One Club Strategy. The post-holder’s primary responsibility is to ensure that all aspects of the rugby policy and processes of the Club are implemented through a coherent management approach, in a way that is compliant with the club constitution, RFU laws, core values and regulations and that the coaching system is effective. If you are an avid rugby fan and have the motivation, skills and experience, we would like to hear from you. Please send your expression of interest with a one-page cv to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to have an informal conversation, please contact Stephen Branch on 07794061855. If you would like to find out more about this role see the role description below.
Applications are welcome until the 13th February 2023
We look forward to hearing from you as we enter the next exciting phase of the club’s development.
Director of Rugby – Macclesfield Rugby Club
The Director of Rugby is a member of the Executive Committee and is responsible for the effective delivery of the player pathway of the club as a key part of delivering the One Club Strategy. The post-holder’s primary responsibility is to ensure that all aspects of the rugby policy and processes of the Club are implemented through a coherent management approach, in a way that is compliant with the club constitution, RFU laws, core values and regulations and that the coaching system is effective.
- All age grades and teams at Macclesfield Rugby Club
- All administrative and operational aspects as they relate to rugby
- To establish and lead a highly effective team of coaches, managers, officials and rugby administrators across all sections of the Club to deliver against agreed objectives.
- To facilitate operational elements (particularly as they relate to the men’s senior teams) to support achievement of goals e.g., identification and recruitment of key players balancing development of homegrown talent v external recruitment of key positions
- To embed the ‘One Club’ culture across all sections of The Club
- To establish a fair and transparent selection process across all senior league teams
- To manage a planned, organised and effective player pathway across all age grades and types of the game that provides high quality and competitive rugby for everyone.
- The level the 1st XV plays at should largely be a reflection of the quality of the player pathway
- To play rugby across all age grades and types of the game at the highest level achievable within financial means
- To increase participation in rugby across all age grades and types of the game
- To agree a rugby budget with the Treasurer and Chair on an annual basis and to work within that budget
- To Chair the rugby sub-committee so that rugby policy is understood, properly disseminated to all levels and translated into practical action
- To Chair the disciplinary committee and champion the core values of rugby across all sections of the Club
- Report to the executive committee on rugby matters and make recommendations on improvements/investments
- To develop and implement a coordinated coaching programme that reflects the Club’s ‘agreed playing philosophy’ throughout all sections of the Club
- Be aware of all rugby administrative procedures regarding player registration, eligibility and match day reporting through GMS
- To direct the recruitment, retention and development of players, coaches, support teams and volunteers across the player pathway
- To establish the long-term retention, development and transition programme from U15 to senior rugby with particular emphasis on the transition from Colts to adult rugby
- To co-ordinate the rugby academy programme with Macclesfield College
- To establish the Club’s outreach programme within the local community, schools and colleges
- To ensure that the ‘rugby experience’ across all age grades is compliant with RFU laws and regulations.
- To develop the Club’s playing facilities, equipment and materials to meet the needs of the players
- Strategic planning, problem solving and decision making in sport, preferably rugby
- Leading and influencing change
- Coaching high performance sport or leading programmes, preferably rugby
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team to deliver performance outcomes
- Ability to motivate and empower others to deliver
- Ability to identify ‘what good looks like’ and make it reality
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral
- Good organisational and time management skills
- IT skills necessary to work with GMS, analytics and other club tools
- Proven rugby coaching ability with knowledge of current coaching and training processes
- Knowledge of RFU/Club issues and established credibility within the rugby community
This is a voluntary role that is not remunerated