UNDER 6’s INFORMATION 2021/22
To sign up for the 2021/22 season REGISTER HERE
The season starts on Sunday 5th September – 10:00 AM at Macclesfield RUFC (on the Astro Pitch).
Girls and Boys welcome, players must be 5 years old as of 1st September 2020. That is it 🙂
What can you expect?
Players will be taught the core skills of Rugby in a safe environment. MRUFC is affiliated with the RFU and the Mini and Youth section focuses on a Kids First approach to Rugby. We live and demonstrate the RFU’s core values – Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline & Sportsmanship.
We have a Kids First coaching philosophy, putting the child at the centre of coaching. We’re not interested in playing to win at all costs or forcing kids to do endless drills. We want kids to stay playing rugby for as long as they want to! We have a full player pathway mapped from U6 through to senior rugby.
Tag Rugby is played from U6s to U8s, whilst players develop their skills of running forwards, evasion, passing the ball, creating and using space and of course scoring tries! From U7 upwards the team will play non-competitive friendlies against local clubs (home and away).
MRUFC trains all coaches on the RFU programme to an appropriate level for each age group, from Rugby Ready through to ERCA awards.
We have a planned pathway from U6 through to Senior Rugby, and links with our nearest Premiership Club, Sale Sharks, where the M&Y section is a member of the 100 club and benefits from special festivals and half time tag tournaments at Premiership matches each season.
We have a COVID safe environment and follow all RFU and Government Guidelines to keep players, parents and everyone safe.
What we expect from parents and players
- Turn up on time, with the correct kit and appropriate clothing
- Kids need water – please bring it to every match 🙂
- Stay with your child or nominate another responsible person the child knows (and let the coaches know if you’re leaving)
- Encourage the kids – applaud good play and hard work
- Respond to TEAMER invitations so we know how many are coming
At under 6s, Club Kit is not essential. We understand kids and parents want to be sure rugby is the sport for them. There are discount offers and codes from time to time so don’t rush.
Essential kit required for training:-
- Suitable Trainers or boots for use on Astroturf
- Shorts & socks
- T-Shirt (blue preferred but not essential)
- Water bottle & water (labelled please)
For the colder weather
- Tracksuit (for colder weather)
- Hat for colder weather
- Rugby Mitts (such as these) – please not woollen gloves as they absorb water making hands VERY cold!
Subs will not be required until the end of October 2021 at the earliest to allow parents and children to try out the game. Registration with the RFU is not required until U7’s.
SUBS for U6’s are £65.00 for the season
Your subscription gets you
- £5 entrance fee to 1st XV home matches
- Under 16s – free entry to home matches
- Family Member (no voting rights)
- Playing subscriptions and coaching
- Opportunity to buy international tickets
- Discounted clubhouse hire
- Trained coaches
Player Safety and Expectations
We are lucky to have such well-behaved children overall. However, we want a fun, competitive and most importantly safe environment and will, therefore, be strict in our encouragement of players to stop when the whistle blows, to listen/concentrate to coaches and to pay attention. Please reinforce this message on the way to the club on a Sunday morning.
Macclesfield Rugby Club requires that all players must have a responsible adult present for all training and matches.